Have you ever:
- Hidden the leash behind your back at the dog park and pursued your dog until you can grab them and hook the leash up to take them home?
- Chased your dog down the street and tackled them in the neighbors yard?
- Opened the front door for a delivery only to have the delivery person knocked off their feet by a blur that ran by and is now running happily down the street?
- Chased you dog and had them stop and look back at you as if they are grinning and then just as you get close they bolt again?
- Called Come over and over again and been completely ignored?
If any of these scenarios sound familiar then these tips are for you
- Never ever call your dog when you know that they will not come, the only thing this does is reinforce your dog for not paying attention to you and you poison the cue.
- Do call, hook up your dog to their leash and release your dog multiple times in fun zones like the dog park before finally hooking them up to bring them home.
- Do play hide and seek (hide and call your dog) with your dog frequently. When your dog finds you reward them heavily with both treats and praise.
- Always reward heavily in the beginning with treats and praise. You have to make yourself interesting to your dog if you want them to pay attention to you.
- Always reward your dog for coming even if they stick their head down 10 gopher holes on the way to you they still came.
- Always grab their collar when they come to you. Collar grabs are the #1 cause of dog bites so prevent this by making sure your dog makes a positive connection with a collar being grabbed equaling lots of treats.